Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Welcome to the StellarVerse Forums!

I have created these forums as a *stable* and *lasting* alternative to other Stellar forums for developers and everybody else! Read more. Questions? PM -> mmathias! Thank you!

Author Topic: No trolling rule  (Read 4450 times)

xekoukou

• View Profile
  • Tech Interests: Reactive model-oriented programming & mathematics
No trolling rule
« on: December 07, 2014, 03:38:27 AM »
Just wanted to ask if we could have a rule that any non-constructive behavior results in a ban.

The community around cryptocurrencies cannot be changed in an instant. Those that participate in forums are mostly interested in their investments and thus have a tendency to troll.

Developers, gateway, exchange operators and normal users on the other hand have different interests.

I would like that we use the ban hammer to filter the troll noise in this forum. We can let the trolls troll in stellartalk for the sake of freedom of speech and have this forum for a more constructive discussion.

Can we have that rule in this forum? And I mean for this rule to be strict.

mmathias

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Tech Interests: C++, PHP, Backend
  • Twitter: @mmathias_mmint
Re: No trolling rule
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »
That's a very good idea and I support that, xekoukou!

A real unease exists over what is free speech, over what is hate speech and about the protection that anonymity offers. But IMO banning abusive and non-constructive behaviour has little to do with taking away the right of free speech. Free speech can be expressed in many ways and should always be expressed with good behavior! Because a peaceful demonstration is good. Burning down shops is not.

Would the community help in phrasing such a rule? Perhaps something along the lines of "Any non-constructive behavior (trolling, harassment, intimidation, etc) WILL result in a ban and the removal of all associated content."?

Any other opinions/suggestions?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Support StellarVerse: gLVXANgQtoNPaK9Nr4egdvh36jqJ9LMG1A

bogavante

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 11:09:16 AM »
Hi xekoukou :)

You definetely have a point, and believe me we are looking currently at ways in which we could change the dynamic which is often present in Stellartalk to favor more constructive discussions in which a broader population feels at ease and inclined to participate with their insights.

Thank you for your feedback, even if it has been in another forum :)
Cheers,
Boga

xekoukou

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »
MMathias,
I like it. We just need some clear rules. For example,We delete any such content and after n number of incidents, the user is banned.

Hi Bogavante, I believe that we can have both type of forums. Both will need moderation and thus  your efforts are welcome.
Some trolls though have a big following of "speculators/investors" and it could hurt if we banned them in stellartalk. I would prefer if we only ban them in this forum.

mmathias

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 10:39:06 PM »
How about...

Any abusive, non-constructive or non-productive content WILL be deleted. Any abusive, non-constructive or non-productive behavior (trolling, harassment, intimidation, etc) WILL result in a ban and the removal of all associated content.

Anything to add to that?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

xekoukou

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 11:24:30 PM »
Nothing to add. It's fine as it is.

irisli

• Stellar Development Foundation
    • View Profile
  • Tech Interests: web
  • Twitter: @irisli
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 02:21:26 AM »
and the removal of all associated content.

It would be nice to remove a user from the forums but I think removing all their content might create holes in threads making things confusing. I'd say that we should remove their most offending posts but leave their more benign posts (since the bad ones should have been caught in the first place too).

Thanks for your work here!

mmathias

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 10:44:03 PM »
Thank you for pointing this out, Iris.

Any abusive, non-constructive or non-productive content WILL be deleted. Any abusive, non-constructive or non-productive behavior (trolling, harassment, intimidation, etc) WILL result in a ban and the removal of all content relevant to the aforementioned behavior.

Ok for everybody?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mmathias

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 10:29:42 PM »
Alright, since there is not much more to add, the following rule now applies to all StellarVerse forums:

Any abusive, non-constructive or non-productive content WILL be deleted. Any abusive, non-constructive or non-productive behavior (trolling, harassment, intimidation, etc) WILL result in a ban and the removal of all content relevant to the aforementioned behavior.

I have added the rule to the "Registration Agreement" and will make another post about this on the "Announcements, News & Important Notice" board.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯